Monday, May 5, 2008

Memories of State...

Hey B,

This time of year really has some fond memories for your old pops! It was this time of year when your daddy was in high school that the state track meet was held. Actually, it was always the first weekend in May. I try to go to some of the state track meets to see if your daddy's state records hold up but this year it was in Gulf Shores and that was too far to go. But old pops! eagerly got up Sunday morning to get the results. Your daddy still holds the 4A state record in the 300m hurdles and his relay teams of the 4x400m and 4x800 meter still stand today. So B, you can see that I am really proud of your daddy and when you can really understand all this you will be also.

One day maybe your daddy will tell you about the year he pulled a boneheaded stunt at his prom the week before state and wound up pulling his hamstring. That story is one that he'll never live down as long as I live. And the story seems to get bigger every year. It has something to do with him trying to do the splits on the dance floor at his prom, or at least that is his story. I really don't want to imagine what the "true" story might be. That is kind of freaky for a dad to think about. But regardless, this time of year hold special memories for old pops!

I sure one day your daddy will look back at certain times of the year that relate to things that hold special memories for him about 'ol B. One of the few benefits of getting older is memories.
And old pops! has some doozies of memories that relate to your daddy. I'll start filling you in on some of them so you have some leverage with your daddy one day.

See you in a month!!!!

I love you,

pops! (the instigator)

1 comment:

Amber said...

I can only hope B has stories like I have. Innocent, yet dramatic and boneheaded.

That's great news that I'm still the best Alabama has ever seen.